Third graders work toward the Bear rank. The Bear rank is earned by completing seven adventures as described below.
1. Complete each of the six required adventures:
- Baloo the Builder
- Bear Claws
- Bear Necessities
- Fellowship and Duty to God
- Fur, Feathers, and Ferns
- Paws for Action (Duty to Country)
2. In addition to the six required adventures, complete at least one elective adventure of your den’s or family’s choosing.
3. With your parent, guardian, or other caring adult, complete the exercises in the pamphlet entitled How to Protect Your Children From Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide.
4. Earn the Cyber Chip award for your age. (The Cyber Chip portion of this requirement may be waived by your parent or guardian if you do not have access to the internet.)
The Bear Cub Scout uniform has the following parts;
1. Shirt—The official blue uniform shirt is available with long or short sleeves and has button-flap pockets.
2. Pants(not required)— Shorts, long pants, skorts, and roll up pants all are in official blue.
3. Belt—Official navy-blue web belt with metal buckle.
4. Socks(not required)—Official socks are available in three lengths: ankle, crew, and knee. Bear socks have a yellow band on the top.
5. Hat—Official blue hat with light blue front and Bear emblem.
6. Neckerchief—Light blue triangular neckerchief with Bear logo. Official BSA neckerchiefs are the only neckerchiefs that are part of the uniform.
7. Neckerchief slide—Official gold-tone metal slide with light blue Bear emblem. Cub Scouts may wear handmade neckerchief slides.